Monday, October 25, 2010

GRID PROJECT

When i was thinking about which pre-existing grid i could use for this assignment my room mate shared a story of how this summer when she worked at camp where her campers LOVED to make patterns with the Perler Beads. She hated it because she always had to help pick the individual colors for the campers. So i decided this would a be a great way to execute the assignment because when i was a kid i also loved to make things out of these beads. I decided to recreate  a piece from one of my favorite artist Keith Haring. So with 6+ hrs gone and 6,728 beads later i was able to create this master piece.

This is the original Image

Unfortunately i didn't have the funds to recreate the exact colors so i chose to only use 4 colors








7 comments:

  1. So beautiful! Great choice of material and imagery - both are a bit childish, but the execution is so sophisticated. I liked the way you broke up the imagery into squares for your presentation in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done this before as a child so I'm very fascinated by this! This is really cool and colorful. This must have taken you forever! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved creating designs with these little beads when i was younger and know how time consuming this project must have been. You did a great job replicating the image and i thought your color scheme worked just as well as the original piece itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bead design. It is a cool replica of Keith Harings piece. I loved the way that line of sight plays a game with seeing this art piece. Close up looks like a complex bead design, but from far back it looks like a perfect picture (print) of Keith Harings piece. Good job on aligning the beads on the separated boards. You aligned them perfectly.

    I also think the two colors chosen adds a more unique story to the piece. To me, it symbolized two different human elements having fun and dancing together. What I got out of it emotionally was a spiritual sense of unity, harmony, and equality.

    Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exceptional work! The pieces match up so well! I can't get over how many beads there are and you can tell you spent a good amount of time on it. I also like how you took something you loved doing as a child and incorporate it into this project. I also really like the Haring image you choose to recreate! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me reminisce on my childhood days, I used to love making these things. I never would have thought to use those! You did a great job recreating the original image, it must have taken forever to figure out how to place the beads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was one of my favorites. Using circular objects to make a square grid was a cool idea. I was familiar with the original work when I saw yours and it was a great replication.

    ReplyDelete