Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Performance Art Piece

I had many ideas for this project that i thought would work out wonderfully. Once i tried to execute them they were all epic failures, which made me quickly realize i am NOT cut out to be a performance artist. I get really shy and embarrassed in front of people which is not a good characteristic to have while performing.

My final idea was filmed in the Walmart supermarket, i decided to dance through the aisle while blasting music on my iPhone. Many people now a days wont go anywhere without there iPods or some form of music which is starting to hinder some peoples communication skills and social skills. Instead of making small talk with strangers or saying a simple hello, people are stuck in their own little music world. It is taboo to listen to your music out loud instead of using your ear bubs in public. So i decided to do just that and break the norm, not only was i gonna blast my music but i was gonna dance up and down the aisles. Many people didn't respond like i thought they would. Most of them heard the music before i even approached them, looked back to see where the noise was coming from, saw me and moved out of my way. Others would see me coming and stay in there aisles and stare at me as i passed. I hope you enjoy the video and sorry in advanced for my poor editing skills.   :/


10 comments:

  1. I thought your video was very funny. I liked the fact that you just went in started dancing and never stopped. Grabbing the 5lb ground beef added a speacial touch, a good idea to relate the project more to technology would be dancing in front of the surveillance cameras a videotaping the surveillance display screen of you actually dancing. great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Bianca on the humor aspect. I thought the dance moves and your interaction with the meat was very cool and connected well to the art expression.

    I wished that the person videotaping you could have been a little faster and quicker on change-ups with camera view. I wanted to see more perspective of the shoppers in the market to your dance. Still your performance was good and interesting. Your abstract dance groove did indeed match well to the music.

    Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. initially i was thinking of doing something along the lines of this using this song too!
    it's weird how some of our projects relate.
    i thought this was a great idea..like cayla said, i would have done some destruction to the store. i like your moves though!
    great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hilarious! i wonder if you would have gotten "better" reactions at a different store - like Greenwise or Whole Foods or something. there's a lot of places you can go from here with this idea; i loved what cayla (i think it was her) said in class about putting items into other shopper's baskets when you danced by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was crackin' up, this is definitely some stuff i would do on a daily basis. breakin' it down in the cereal isle is so classy. loved the grabbing of the ham and walking with it, nice touch, i just wish you would have done more stuff like that. i said in class to you that i would have just been reeking havoc by taking things out of peoples baskets and putting them in others, pushing stuff off the shelves, and so on. loved it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny video! I appreciate how you let go of all your inhibitions and let loose in walmart. I like how you picked things up and went on your way, still dancing, as if it was any other normal shopping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was wonderful, I think it would have been better if you forced people to interact with you to see their expressions. It was great that you brought your own music with you and were just bouncing around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was really funny! You definitely should have worn a costume or something crazy! The people would have thought you were more insane! You should have tried to do it at other stores, as well... maybe you'd get more crazy reactions to your awesome dancing =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was hysterical. I loved the song as well as the idea. The whole time I was watching I wanted you to grab something off of the shelf and then you did so it was complete. Well done and way to add a new form of weird to the neighborhood wal-mart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahah! Loved this idea! I actually thought about doing this myself!! You did a great job dancing and not caring at all about what anyone thought. You really went for it, and your dance moves were sick! I will never think of this song the same way!!

    ReplyDelete